The simple answer is that a teacher needs to have the willingness to share; share their experiences, their passions, and their love.
¨What does it take to be a Yoga teacher?¨
¨Will I be able to teach after a Yoga Teacher Training Course?¨
¨Do I have the right skills to be a Yoga teacher?¨
In this way, everyone already has the capacity within them to be a teacher. You might not believe so today, but all that is needed to effectively teach is to nurture your students, the teaching process will become easy and naturally after that.
Here are the five key characteristics of an influential teacher:
- Knowledge: The teacher should have a deep understanding of the subject matter being shared. Consequently, passionate studying and continuously developing oneself is very important to be able to share the acquired knowledge.
- Confidence: The teacher needs to be confident in him/herself; on their skill, knowledge, and ability to safely and effectively manage a class
- Organization: The teacher needs to be prepared and organized. Every teacher has their own system, but it is imperative that the class is structured and has a flow that students can follow.
- Adaptability: The teacher should demonstrate flexibility. They should be able to modify an asana to accommodate beginners and advanced students as well as to empathize with the students and be able to adapt their teaching style to individual students’ needs in a particular moment
- Humbleness: A teacher should be an eternal student and for that humility is important. Despite the deep knowledge there will be moments that a teacher might not have the answer. This is the moment to be humble and learn with an open heart and mind.
Here are the five key simples characteristics of a student to nurture in yourself:
- Enthusiasm: The student needs to have an interest in the subject matter and be willing to receive the information being shared. Students should be thirsty for knowledge and continue to research, learn, and take their experiences beyond the classroom and into their everyday lives.
- Respect: The student should show respect for the Teacher at all times. Even when the teacher might not have an answer for a specific question at that moment, the student should demonstrate deference to the teacher for the overall knowledge being shared.
- Listening skills: The student needs to be open minded and listen to the content being transmitted, absorbing as much knowledge from the teacher and the environment as possible.
- Inquisitive mind: The students should be a great listener but also needs to contemplate the content and question it through an inquisitive mind to ensure that learning is true for him/herself. The inquisitive minded student will experience the subject matter in their daily lives in their own way, which will enhance the lessons learned in the classroom.
- Perseverance: Not all subjects come naturally and easily for all students. Perseverance is necessary in order to not only keep up with the class but to also experience self-growth and development. Without strife, success is not appreciated. Persevering through the difficult times and getting out of their comfort zones will push the students beyond their self-imposed limitations.
Start nurturing your teacher and student characteristics now by joining us on our next Yoga Teacher Training course.